Wednesday, April 25, 2012

HOT-lanta

A few weekends ago, we went to ATL for the night. Our dear friends are moving there soon, and they went to check apartments, and we ended up meeting them to celebrate Cam's birthday! We had so much fun with them and their friends Mimi & Jeff who just moved to Atlanta from New Orleans.

Connor & I got up early Saturday (we left at 7 I think?!) and hit the road, not knowing how traffic was going to be. Luckily for us, we got in at 11:30 with little to no trouble. It was my first time to Atlanta so I was ready to hit the ground running. Our first stop was LUNCH. We stayed in Virginia Highlands at the Highland Inn, so we were super close to a LOT of options. We hit up The Vortex for lunch. It was an experience to say the least! Since there were inappropriate pics up on the walls as decor, it was an 18+ restaurant. We got there at the perfect time, as we didn't have to wait long at all!

 Kristina & Mimi
   Part of the menu. The heart stoppers (which no one had the guts to try) are burgers with grilled cheese sammys as buns. Adam Richman himself came here recently and tried one!
  Connor had the Elvis burger, complete with peanut butter, bananas, and bacon. It was RICH
  
  I had the southern style "9-inch weenie". It was fantastic.
  
 After lunch, we drove around to look at rental properties for everyone. Mimi & Jeff ended up renting one of the places we looked at and just moved in!

We then went back to the hotel to rest and let the dogs out. Here are the love birds and my main squeeze. Man, my friends sure look cool in their stunner shades.
 Our digs for the night.
 We ended up heading near Midtown to drive around and grab a drink. What a gorgeous city!
 We stopped at the first place that had outdoor seating: Joe's on Juniper. It was actually a gay-friendly bar that had a HILARIOUS menu to browse. I mean, Sausage Fest? And everything had a very tongue-in-cheek saying next to it. We had a great waitress who kept us refreshed!
 Thirsty

As it is a tradition amongst my friends, I wanted to share it with Cam: a Birthday Blowjob shot! He was such a good sport about it.
  


After a nice long afternoon at Joe's, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for a big night on the town. Our hotel was located right next door to an awesome tapas place where we started our evening. I had a mojito I think?
 We then meandered over to The Family Dog, which is a really cool bar that had great live music. We met up with Connor's BFF from growing up and her boyfriend, who were visiting from Birmingham. Sorry I didn't get a picture with y'all!
 After a great night out, Connor & I woke up and headed to a great breakfast recommendation, the Highland Bakery. We didn't have to wait long at all, and had excellent meals. I would HIGHLY recommend it!
  
He got some sort of tex-mex poached egg mess of a thing. Yum.
  
I had an open-faced BLT with fried eggs over sourdough. Amazing.
  
 We then packed up the car, said bye to our friends and made one last (required) stop at the Dekalb Farmer's Market.  My BFF Lara went there last time she was in ATL and I was so jealous at everything she got for a fraction of what you would find at a regular store. Y'all, if you're a foodie like I am, you will think you've died and gone to culinary heaven! They have every.single.type of fruit and vegetable, a bazillion spices, loose teas, rices, grains, oils, vinegars, pastas, breads, meat, seafood, and cheeses. Seriously, it was an amazing experience. They don't allow cameras at all (period.endofstory), otherwise I would have filled my walls with the glorious rows upon rows of imported goods! We were only there for about 30 minutes but I managed to snag quite a bit of stuff. I brought back a Thank You of Isreali Couscous for Meredith 'cause she watched Bowser for the night, and some green cardamom for a friend who can't find it in Charlotte, but everything on the table is being treasured and uses as much as possible! We scored a rack of lamb (since it was Easter Sunday), unfiltered EVOO, spices, red wine & balsamic vinegar, jasmine rice, 4 types of tea, etc.
 We had an amazing time! Since Cam & Kristina are moving to HOTlanta soon, we cannot wait to visit them and explore that gorgeously southern city with them.

Oops! How did this adorable picture get in here? We missed Bowser a lot, and this was his SNUGGLEWITHMEEEEEE face upon returning home. Napoleon says sorry for photo-bombing.
  

 That's all, folks! Hope you enjoyed reading about our busy 24 hours in Atlanta. We had a blast! Leave me some suggestions for the next time we visit!

Love,
M

4 comments:

MariaSelf said...

Looks like you, guys, had TREMENDOUSLY great time!!! Happy for you!

CEE said...

Obviously I'm gonna need to leave a comment!!
1 - great to see yall!! had so much fun catching up!
2 - please tell me joyce's reaction when yall told her about the elvis burger. i bet she about keeled over!

XOXO

La Cuoca said...

Thanks! It was so much fun!

La Cuoca said...

Haha, Joyce does NOT know about the Elvis burger. I think she would faint if she read about all the stuff we eat on the weekends! Great seeing y'all, too! Hoping to see you this summer, or at the JM reunion! :)