Thursday, April 5, 2012

Taste of the Nation Charlotte

I'm involved in a charity that holds an annual foodie event. When we first moved to Charlotte, I was without a job for almost 9 months (!!), so I ended up working on this event. My first role was as a sort of assistant to the Auction Chair. I helped her keep track of the items, put together the auction book, and helped during the event to keep the silent auction running smoothly. This was for the 2010 event. At last year's first planning meeting, the auction chair told us that she was getting married and moving to DC, and would I please take over as Auction Chair?! Needless to say, I accepted it happily but very tentatively. I mean, I was pretty fresh out of college and did not have much prior experience besides intern-type jobs. In the end, though, and after a LOTLOTLOT of stressing and sleepless nights, the auction and the event overall was a huge success. We raised more money from the auction than we had in the past EVER!

The video below is from 2011's event. See if you can spot Connor & Meredith perusing the auction items near the end of the video!



Our event is next week on Wednesday, April 11th at Wells Fargo Atrium  (301 S Tryon). If you live in Charlotte, I hope you have heard of it and are planning on coming out to support us!  The event is called Taste of the Nation, and it is through Share Our Strength which is a national organization that raises money towards ending childhood hunger by 2015! They have different events throughout the year that help raise funds towards this ambitious goal. You may have heard of them: Great American Bake Sale, Dine Out for No Kid Hungry, and Cooking Matters. What's great about Taste of the Nation is that all ticket sales PLUS net proceeds from the auctions stay in Charlotte! The money is divided evenly between the Second Harvest Food Bank and the Community Culinary School of Charlotte.

Below is an informational video about our core mission. I hope it inspires you to help Share the Strength in one way or another!




The event features tastes from many restaurants in the area: Amelie's, American Roadside Burgers, Brixx, CPCC, Chima, E2, Enso, Fern, Flatiron, Halcyon, Mama Ricotta's, Mert's, Mimosa Grill, Queen City Q, Rocky River Grille, Savannah Red, Ember Grille, Upstream, Vida Cantina, Village Tavern, Vivace, Wolfgang Puck Pizza, & Zink. There are also wine, beer, and liquor distributors that are involved, so you can do a lot of UNLIMITED tasting in the 3 or 4 hours! Tickets are $100 for VIP (with exclusive access to VIP lounge) from 6-10PM and regular tickets are $85 from 7-10PM.

I have received a lot of great items for the silent and live auctions, so I hope you can make it! I will be running around like a chicken with my head cut off, but if you recognize me, say HI!


SIDE NOTE: I promise I will post more exciting things after the event. We're headed out of town Saturday night to celebrate our dear friend's birthday. We'll be staying at the Highland Inn in ATL. So excited!

AND I have a Charleston recap to do! Yikes!

M


No comments: