Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Weekend with future in-laws!

Connor's parents came to visit us over Mother's Day weekend. They drove part way to Salem, NC on Thursday, and finished the trip down on Friday. I met them right after I got off work, and we chatted and caught up while we waited for Connor to get home. Luckily, he got home pretty early, so we headed to a new vegetarian restaurant in our neighborhood called Fern.We didn't have reservations, but were lucky to snag a table. We had a great meal! Definitely want to go there again!

  
  
 We started off with 3 noshes: herbed feta, hummus, and zesty cucumber dip. The bread and crackers were divine, not to mention how amazing the dips were! 
Connor ordered the daily Buddha Bowl, and that day's special included Forbidden rice, chickpeas, squash, cabbage, asparagus, and a nice pesto on top. It was awesome!
  
 I ordered the Beet Tagliatelle, which was "House Beet Pasta Tossed with Figs & Sautée of Beet Greens, Carolina Bleu Cheese & Walnut-Red Wine Sauce". So complex!
 

After dinner on Friday, Connor's mother and I stayed up late talking wedding stuff. She's going to be making our centerpieces, so we went through my Pinterest  boards to help her get a feel for what I want.

The next morning, we walked to our favorite bakery called Sunflour Baking Company. I had a nice hot pot of tea and a croissant. Delish!
We brought Bowser with us, and when we went back outside, there was another Boston there! He was such a cutie!

Connor's mother & I then went to yoga together at 8th Street Studio, so I could introduce her to my favorite teacher, Phyllis. We had a great class, then came back home and the 4 of us all went to Crisp for lunch.

After lunch, she and I went to Mary Jo's Cloth Store in Gastonia. She wanted to look at the bridal fabrics, I wanted to get the makings for a DIY Birdcage Veil (more on that when I actually attempt it!), and we wanted inspiration for my dining room chairs. We were there for a bit, and got burlap, Russian netting, felt, and lots of needles, thread, and pins. I'm all set to start sewing!

When we got back, it was time for champagne! Connor bought a bottle of Dom Perignon for our Engagement, and we thought this would be the perfect occasion to open it. We always have champagne with his family...it's the best tradition to have!
Pouring into our GORGEOUS glasses we got as an engagement gift. Thanks Aunt Susan & Catherine!!

 Lots of toasts later, we headed to Barrington's for dinner. This was our first time, and we really liked it!

We started off with fried oyster Rockefeller. Just a little taste of heaven, NBD.
 I had the "Atlantic Cod,Crispy Pork Belly,Green Garlic Soubisse,Potato Pave,Wilted Spinach & a Lobster Reduction". Amazing!
Though the food was rich, we somehow had more room for Elizabeth Creamery after. We waddled up and down Elizabeth to help us digest after. What a meal!

On Sunday morning, we woke up early and got breakfast ready. Connor & his dad had gone to the Farmer's market on Saturday and they got a melon so we had that plus his Dad's famous blueberry-walnut whole wheat pancakes. They were awesome!

Family portrait!


It was a wonderful weekend! We love visitors!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

His parents look really nice. What a great weekend. :) A vegetarian restaurant sounds amazing; I don't eat meat and I hate only eating one or two things!

Annie said...

Soooo my friend April (alizadventures.blogspot.com) but also in real life friend makes bird cage veils. Well she did one for her wedding and then another girl asked her to make one. I bet she'd do one for you if you'd like. Search for it on her blog where she talks about hers!