Monday, June 18, 2012

DIY: Recovering the bench

 A couple of weekends ago, Connor & I were in town all weekend, which meant we were able to tackle lots of projects. One I enjoyed working on was recovering a bench I scored from my Grandparent's house over Christmas. This used to be in their master bedroom, and I remember sitting on it right at the end of their bed in the mornings.

As you can see from the pictures, it is in great shape, and I absolutely love the funky curved legs. My plans for this bench has always been for the guest bedroom. When Connor's parents came to visit (read up here), his mother and I went to get fabric for this bench. I absolutely love it and I hope you enjoy reading about my latest DIY as much as I enjoyed finishing it!

Supplies you will need:
  •  Fabric (plus a little extra juuuuuust in case)
  • Tack/staple remover (I used a flat head screwdriver)
  • Staple gun
  • Upholstery nails (I got mine at Home Depot, click here)
  • Hammer
  • Patience & a movie you don't necessarily have to pay attention to
Step one: Take pictures of your ugly stained fabric to have a great before/after 
Step two: Flip that sucker on its back. Proceed to take horrible pictures of your process. Remove those tacks.
 See all those tacks? Your flat head screwdriver works great on these! Go around and remove every single one holding the old fabric in place. 
Step Three: Groan when you realize there's another piece of fabric under the ugly fabric. Remove that as well, turning your "day" project into your "day AND night" project.
Step Four: Place the fabric over your furniture and figure out how you want the pattern to line up. (Once you've figured that out, forget to take pictures of the process. Name yourself the worst "blogger" in history.)

I used the staple gun to attach the fabric tightly. You just have to keep pulling and stapling. You'll develop a pretty good rhythm.

Step Five: Fold at the corners. This was the second hardest part. Since I couldn't just wrap the fabric under like a simple chair seat, I had to play around with folding and stapling. I like what I call the "Hospital Bed Fold". Looks clean and crisp.
Step Six: Once you've stapled your fabric on, you can grab the nail head trim that you've been drooling over forever. I literally nailed each.and.every.single.one into the bench. I used 10 boxes of 10, and I definitely bent lots of them in the process! TIME CONSUMING.
 All angles! Done!
I thought the gray & white fabric with the nickel nail head trim looked perfect for our gray, baby blue, & white guest bedroom. I think I'm going to find a solid rug since it's a little much at the moment.

What do y'all think? Nailing in the nail head trim didn't turn out as well as I thought it was going to. Don't look too hard! All in all, this took me about 5 hours I think.

I am working on my dining room chairs (which takes me 2 hours PER CHAIR since there are crazy old staples that are impossible to remove), and will show you a much better step-by-step when I'm done. I've been taking better pictures of the process.

Recovering furniture is really rewarding and I highly recommend it! Chair seats, benches, and stools are obviously the easiest since sometimes you can just put the new fabric right over the old fabric. It just depends.

Hope y'all had a great weekend, I'll post an update tomorrow!

xoxo





2 comments:

Leslie said...

You did such a great job! I absolutely love it. :)

Ruth said...

It looks wonderful