Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wedding DIY: Chalkboard sign



I wanted to share with you a little DIY project I did for our Engagement pictures. I knew I wanted to make a Save the Date sign and have a picture in case we wanted to use them for the ones we mail out. Following A Beautiful Mess' Make your own Chalkboard Paint , I successfully made a sign! I would like to note, however, that I tried to paint it on glassware and that it came off immediately. More on that later.

via
Anyways, so you first need supplies. I didn't need as much as she needed, so I used:
  • 1/4 cup acrylic paint (any color, though I chose black just to see)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon unsanded grout (this can be purchased at most hardware/home improvement stores, we got ours at Home Depot)
  • A cup or bowl you can throw away
  • plastic spoon
  • paint brush
  • a wooden board you plan to paint on
  • Newspaper to spread over a table, because I'm messy
You can see my supplies scattered around. Yay.
I figured out that 1/4 C of paint is one whole little bottle. So I dumped that all in, then added the Non-Sanded Tile Grout. The box of grout is huge. I'm not sure what to do with the rest except CHALKBOARD PAINT EVERYTHINGGGGGG.
Once you've mixed it in, start painting! I did 2 coats and it seemed to work just fine.
Once you're done and you've left it to dry ( I waited a whole day), you have to set the paint using a piece of chalk. I don't have a picture of that, but use your imagination. Just rub chalk all over the surface and wipe away.

Now, to make a fun sign, pick your favorite font and print out your saying. I chose Simply Glamorous from Da Font, a place where you can download free fonts.

Cut out the letters using an Xacto knife or a box cutter. I don't have one of those fancy self-healing cutting mats yet, so I just used an old thick magazine. Vogue or W works great!

Once you've cut out your letters, tape them down with masking tape so it comes up easily. Pick your color chalk (I got a huge box of it at Target) and start tracing! I don't have the best handwriting in the world, my mother can attest to that, so I found this to be the best method for me.
Keep it up while watching lots of silly TV! My favorite chalk tracing show is GCB. That Kristen Chenoweth. Hilarious.
Once you're done, have a mini photoshoot with it. Be proud.

Oh, I also outlined the sides in a fun coral pink color to make it "POP". (Why doesn't chalk come in my wedding colorssss??)
Take a better picture on your dining room table. Admire your work.

This is now sitting in our Parlor, waiting to be erased and used at the wedding! I'll probably use it on the guest book table or something. I'll keep you posted!

Once we get our pictures back from our engagement shoot with Jodi Miller Photography, I'll show you how we used it!

Until next time.

xo

No comments: