Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Father's Day Weekend

Over Father's Day weekend, I drove up after work on Friday and made it just in time to have a family dinner on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville. We made reservations at Blue Light Raw Bar & Grill, a place I haven't been to in a while. They had some interesting things on the menu, and I enjoyed trying the calamari, lamb ribs & mussels for our appetizers. For dinner, I was not really up for anything heavy (their fish items didn't appeal to me at the time) so I ordered the local grass-fed burger. I ate about half and passed it along. It was yummy! Their fries were also a hit with everyone.
It was really nice catching up with my aunts, uncle, and cousins. It had been a while! Too long!
After dinner, we all walked over to one of the newest bars in town, Skybar at Commonwealth Restaurant. My parents and aunts & uncle came up for a little bit to check out the view, then left us "kids" to explore the town. After some time overlooking the mall, we headed BACK to Blue Light. It has a really fun scene usually, but it was pretty dead so we ended up going to Escafe, which has taken over Oxo's space. The space is still exactly the same...pillows, banquet seats, art. Everything!

We had so much fun dancing! Exhibit A!
Saturday morning I woke up pretty early. No shades at my parents house means I wake up with the sun! I met my sister at her house, and we had a quick cup of coffee before we walked to the Farmer's Market. I LOVE their apartment, especially for its convenience to the mall. Love walking everywhere! We walked around to scope out what we wanted for breakfast and we picked out all the veggies we needed for that night's picnic. We got kale, tomatoes, garlic, basil, bell peppers, & onions! I also picked a few packs of No Bull burgers, which I wrote about in my last post. They are amazing! Love that they're made from scratch in Cville using organic ingredients!

We also shared a popsicle from Pantheon Pops while waiting in line for breakfast tacos. We got the mint tea with honey. So refreshing!
Line for Tacos
Breakfast of Champions: One Chorizo, one El Pastor

After the market, I went to Whole Foods to pick up the remaining ingredients I didn't get at the market. My mom met me at home and chatted with me while I chopped the veggies and the chicken. It really helps having someone in the kitchen while you're doing the grunt work! I made Greek marinated chicken & veggies, and an Israeli Couscous salad with fresh spinach, onions, tomatoes, basil, mint, & feta. It was so good!

After getting dinner ready, we met my sister and aunt at Barrack's Road for a little retail therapy. MY aunt is in the middle of renovating her bathroom & bedroom, so we had fun poking through Anthropologie's decor section. She got some fabulous things!

In the midst of our shopping trip, we got a call from the nursing home where my grandmother recently moved, saying she was having an episode. We sprinted over to check on her, and she bounced back fairly well. I guess she's been having some sort of episodes more recently, but this was the first time I've been able to be with her. It was really nice being within a 5 minute drive of her. No worries though, she really is back to normal.

After the home, we went back to my parent's house and I finished getting dinner ready. I also made kale chips, which were a hit. Aunt Leah brought over oven-roasted tomatoes with fresh mozzarella & basil, and a guacamole dip. Yum! Dinner was really nice, as we were able to celebrate 2 Father's (my dad & his brother), as well as my aunt's mother's birthday. We had ice cream cake for dessert, which my sister & her husband got from Dairy Queen.

This is my parent's backyard all set up for the party!
Yummy apps
These were so amazing
Kale chips were a hit!
We had already devoured most of this by the time I took a picture. Oops.
Gorgeous flowers that one aunt brought
My plate: You can see the roasted chicken & veggies on the left, and the couscous salad. Also, one aunt brought lots of yummy bread from a bakery near her in Carytown
Nana Beth

Seriously. We killed that cake

My Dad & Mimi

After dinner, the kids went over to my sister's house and we hung out for a bit. I was emotionally drained from the day, so I didn't stick around long. I actually crashed that night and slept pretty late the next day. It was nice to sleep in!

Sunday I hung around the house for a bit then we all met back up at Farmington for lunch. I ordered the club sandwich & onion rings. The sandwich was definitely not great, wish I had gotten a salad which they never mess up. I swear I don't eat like that during the week. Weekends are for fried food!
After lunch most of us went back over to Granny's to check in on her. I stayed for about an hour and then hit the road. It took exactly 4 hours, and I was so glad to be home with C & Bowser!
I had such a great weekend visiting with my family, I hope you did, too!



No comments: