Sunday, July 21, 2013

Tested: Blueberry Crumb Bars

I've had a lot of free time this summer. I have a fairly flexible summer work schedule, plus the wedding isn't consuming my life anymore. This has given me a lot more time to cook after work, of which I have been doing a lot lately.
One recipe that I had to share with you is Smitten Kitchen's Blueberry Crumb Bars. I got these blueberries at the farmer's market over the weekend and searched through her archives until the perfect recipe popped up.
I ended up having half of the berries I needed, so I used half fresh, half frozen (Trader Joe's mixed berries). I loved how tart these turned out!
I also subbed whole wheat flour for half of the AP flour, which lent itself so nicely to this rustic dessert

:: Blueberry Crumb Bars ::


Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yield: 36 small bars

Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a 9×13 inch pan (I prefer Bakers Joy, it doesn't mess up your pans).
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.

In another bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.

Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.

Cool completely before cutting into squares. I found that chilling in the fridge for a few hours helped immensely.

These get a little soggy after a few days, so you can either freeze these (triple wrap in plastic) or bring them home when you visit your family, like I did. These didn't last long!

Let me know how you like them!

xoxo

post signature
 

3 comments:

Ally {Life as I know it} said...

Looks yummy! Love anything with berries in it!

DeAnna Stephens said...

My Aunt use to make these all the time!

megan (girl by the lake) said...

Woah. These look awesome. Pinned and a must make really soon!