Wednesday, August 7, 2013

#CM2013 {ceremony}

  In case you missed the other posts before this one, here they are! You can also find them under  "The Wedding" tab at the top.

#CM2013

Jodi + Kurt's post
Stolen Pictures
Girls getting ready
First Look
Ceremony Details

 
Let's talk about the ceremony. We have been to so many weddings, and all ceremonies are different. It was really hard to narrow down exactly what we wanted to do and say. I looked around on wedding message boards, read tons of blogs, and then found that I liked words that expressed our appreciation for people being there. We also wanted to acknowledge our parent's support in our upbringing and relationship over the long 8 years, so we put in a little passage about that. We also added a moment of silence for our relatives who have passed on. We also wrote our own vows in secret, and it was so incredible to hear what we wrote to each other.
 
In the end, my word of advice for crafting your ceremony is to actually read the words and make sure they ring true to your relationship.  There are so many ways to describe you & your partner, so narrow down just a few things you want to incorporate, and you will have an amazing ceremony.
I heard from our friends/family that it was a very moving ceremony. I mean, I was crying through half of it, so I agreed. But to have the majority of our guests talk about our ceremony still? That it was emotional, meaningful, and totally US was awesome to hear. I didn't really know how to put a ceremony together, but I guess it turned out well! I mean, we're married, right?
 
Now on to the details:
The groomsmen and Connor's parents walked in to "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis
  The girls walked down to "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers. Now every time I hear that song I get emotional!
 Anticipation...
Our nephew and Bowser had matching bowties from Divine Domestication
And yes, Bowser RAN down the aisle towards Connor! I hear it was adorable
Ready to walk! I know walking in with both your parents is a Jewish tradition, but my mother had an equal hand in raising me and I would not have done it any other way. It was a really special moment!
Our band, the Bellevue Rhythmaires, was AMAZING! They worked with me on putting together a great instrumental song list for our ceremony
We walked down the aisle to "Here Comes The Sun" by the Beatles
Giving final hugs. I was already crying by this point.
This is funny, because we weren't supposed to hold hands at this point! Our officiant, a wonderful family friend, said "Not yet, guys!"
I think we were laughing because when I walked in with my parents, our guests didn't sit down so they stood through the "Gathering Words" part of our ceremony. Then we did the "Acknowledgement of Family & Friends", where we asked our parents to stand but they already were! I think our guests sat at this point.
How cute is this angle of my girls? They looked GORGEOUS
Our niece! I got her hat at Gap and her dress at Old Navy
Connor's middle sister read the "Apache Blessing". We both liked it for many reasons, one being that it actually heeded good advice and good wishes!
...May beauty surround you both in the
journey ahead and through all the years,
May happiness be your companion and
your days together be good and long upon the earth...
And my cousin, twin of the cousin who introduced us, read "A Lovely Love Story". It is a story of two dinosaurs who are very different, but bring each other much joy and happiness from their differences. It was hilarious! I mean, just look at Connor's face...
...The fierce Dinosaur was trapped inside his cage of ice. Although it was cold he was happy in there. It was, after all, his cage.
Then along came the Lovely Other Dinosaur. The Lovely Other Dinosaur melted the Dinosaur’s cage with kind words and loving thoughts....
Connor read his vows first. His were just perfect
I promise to try my hardest to not always voice the counter argument when you really just want me to listen and nod
And here I was...As soon as I started, I could barely hold it together. I actually had to stop, look at our officiant, and he was like "BREATHE". That helped!
I promise to love you more each day, even though I can’t imagine loving you more than this moment
Laughing my way through some of them. I made sure to add a few funny ones, because I'm a silly person in general.
I promise to make you an ice cream cake for every birthday
The bling!
Of course I was excited to finally get my ring!
Yay! Smooch!
And my majorly red lipstick got all over him. I had to wipe!
Married! I was so excited.
 
Our band played Wagon Wheel for our recession. Because we're awesome like that
Perfectly captured by Jodi
I mean, how GORGEOUS is our wedding party? Come on!
And my parents? My Dad got his seersucker suit in town and I ordered his bow tie from CCA Designs Look at my mom's dress! It is a Marisa Baratelli
Connor's darling parents
After the ceremony, our guests were led down in a Second Line with our band leading them. Isn't that awesome? They played a Mumford & Sons song
It was so fun getting to hug our wedding party after the ceremony. We were all just so excited! Or at least Connor and I were


BFF hug time
My cousin who introduced us. THANK YOU GERALD!
Hugging my tiny aunt, Gerald's mom. I wore really high heels so I felt like I was towering over everyone!
How cute is this? Connor's eldest sister with Miss M

More to come next week!

post signature
 

5 comments:

Yuyu907 said...

The colors you picked were gorgeous!!
I'm trying to plan a bachelorette party right now -- I've gotten a few stuff done >< I tried hand making an invitation! Check it out and let me know if it's too cheesy!!

Jaclyn @ Love And Bellinis said...

I love love LOVE your music selections for your ceremony! The songs were playing in my head as I looked at your pictures. It sounds like it was such a special and happy ceremony. Zack and I wrote our own vows as well, it was so meaningful....I was so nervous to read mine though!

xxx
Jaclyn
http://www.loveandbellinis.com

Kiri said...

I felt exactly the same way - both of my parents had an equal hand in raising me, and I wanted them both to walk me down the aisle! I've seen more and more brides doing this.

My father-in-law included the Apache Blessing in his blessing before dinner, it was a tear jerker! I found a few prints with the blessing and watercolor art on Etsy, and would love to hang one in our home.

megan (girl by the lake) said...

This is so beautiful Mariel! I'm almost at tears at my work desk. So beautiful. So personalized.

I'm so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy every moment of your special day! Can't wait to hear more!

allison said...

What a beautiful wedding and your dress was gorgeous!