Thursday, August 1, 2013

Inner Redneck

{Be prepared to laugh}

Tonight, Connor & I are going to the Kenny Chesney concert at Verizon. We are so excited! I have never seen Kenny perform before, and I know he's going to put on a great show. Thinking about Country music makes me laugh, because I was not always a fan. In fact, I hated it when I was younger! Here is my very random journey of music taste:

My Dad always had some sort of Oldies tape in his car, and we listened to the Temptations, Four Tops, Lovin' Spoonful, or Beach Boys on trips to the beach. He also had this crazy tape of Songs of the Civil War that we listened to, which I think is why I really like Bluegrass/Folk Rock today. But of course, when I was in Middle School, I didn't listen to anything my parents listened to because it was uncool, right?
 I was into anything pop/top 40 in middle school {BSB, N'Sync, Spice Girls, Mandy Moore....Oh lord}. I remember on Sunday evenings I would sit in my room and tape record Casey Kasem's Top 40 {starting at #10, duh} so I would have all the new songs to listen to that week. DORK!
In early high school, my friend Bekkah turned me onto more indie/alternative music. We would ride around listening to 311, Our Lady Peace, and my personal favorite, Better Than Ezra. That also morphed into Linkin Park {barf}, Disturbed {thanks to an old boyfriend}, Rammstein {my best guy friend liked them}, Audioslave, & A Perfect Circle. And yes, I would listen to this angry, scream-y music in my old school Volvo, wearing Lilly Pulitzer, pearls, pink polos & khaki skirts. I was an ironic prepster? I have no idea.

When Connor & I met, after I graduated high school, he introduced me to what I have always thought of as "college music": 80's rock ballads {Journey, White Snake} and Country. Eager to fit in, I had him make me a CD of said music. I of course still have them somewhere. Anyways, this was true beer drinking music, and I learned to like these genres while I learned to love Bud Light.
Fast forward 8 years later, and I still have a very eclectic taste in music. I am listening to Gotye on Pandora, love Mumford & Sons, the Civil Wars, Bon Iver, Edward Sharpe, the Lumineers, Avett Brothers....you get the picture. I still listen to Lil Wayne, Gaga, & Rihanna when I'm getting ready to go out in the evenings {a college habit}. I prefer the folk indie bands, but will listen to just about anything, like Jazz, Soul, and Oldies.

I am honestly surprised that I actually listen to Country. But it is something that Connor loves and I of course wanted to love what he loved, so I just got used to it. And now I really like it! We got the Country Mega Ticket last year, and saw a bunch of great performers, like Luke Bryan, Toby Keith, Jason Aldean, etc.
 We also saw Tim McGraw this year, and I LOVED it. Although he's such a celebrity now that he was just like a machine...going through the motions {check out his jeggings!}
Maybe it's because we moved to NC, but I have fully embraced my inner Redneck. On weekends, you will find me wearing one of my 3 camo hats, and my husband in his camo shorts and cut off tee. And we LOVE it.
I also have grown to love NASCAR, and we even went to the October race last year!

So yes, I still wear Lilly and pearls, but I also enjoy slipping into some camo and letting loose.  I still listen to Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, but I will also tune in to Rodney Atkins. I'm random, I guess!

What about you, do you have a very specific taste in music or do you kind of listen to it all?
 
post signature

3 comments:

Jaclyn @ Love And Bellinis said...

I've always had a very eclectic taste in music. It wasn't until I met my husband and moved in with him that I really started listening to country. All my friends in Chicago were into dance music...and everyone out here is pretty much only into country! So I didn't really have much of a choice, but I do enjoy it. Although I also still enjoy a good variety...too much of anything is no bueno.

xxx
Jaclyn
http://www.loveandbellinis.com

Ally {Life as I know it} said...

SO funny you used to tape record music on the radio, I did the EXACT same thing! Anytime I heard a song I liked I would hit record so I could rewind it and play it over and over! How things have changed!! I've never been a country fan. Luckily my husband isn't either, we always say we like everything but country. Living in the south that can be kind of hard. I love that y'all became rednecks living in NC! Isn't there a NASCAR track in Charlotte?

Leslie said...

It's funny how our tastes change. I hope you enjoy the concert!