Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and ButterSource: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings: 4
- 2 cups canned imported Italian plum tomatoes (I used a 28 ounce can of San Marzano)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound pasta (spaghetti, penne, rigatoni)
- Put the whole can of tomatoes, including the sauce, in a saucepan. Add the butter, onion, and salt, and cook uncovered at a steady simmer for 45 minutes, or until the fat floats free from the tomato. Stir from time to time, mashing any large piece of tomato in the pan with the back of a wooden spoon.
- After this, you have two options: Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta OR (you rebel) blend up the sauce with the onions until smooth with an Immersion Blender . The choice is yours, and both will give you a marvelous result.
- Serve with your favorite ridged pasta, and hold off on the parmigiano cheese. You might find that it is such a simple sauce that it doesn't need cheese! (Please note that "hold the cheese" has never been part of my vocabulary until this moment, and doubtless will never enter it again)
- Enjoy, and bow to those you serve it to as they give you a standing ovation. Make every day for eternity.