Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Weekend away in DC

Connor and I spent another weekend away, this time in DC visiting our friends who just had babies. We had a great time!
We left work a little early to fly out, because we knew Friday after 5 flights start getting delayed. We enjoyed a little happy hour on the plane....in the form of a $7 Bud Heavy and some Pringles. Rip off.
 Charlie picked us up with Baby Charlie, and I got to sit in the back and meet him. He's too darling!
We all enjoyed snuggling with him. He's just the cutest, most laid back baby!
 We headed to a new restaurant in their area for dinner: Open Road Grill & Icehouse. It was pretty crowded already, I think due to having a huge bar with lots of beer on draft. We ordered 3 apps and each split an entree.

Cobb salad wraps, Calimari, & hot wings. Delicious!
 Connor and I split the CBLT with sweet potato fries. Delicious
 C+C got the burger. We all really enjoyed our meal! Baby C snoozed the whole time, which was amazing. He's so laid back!
On Saturday morning, we took Baby Charlie to the Mosaic District. This shopping center has lots of great boutiques and restaurants. We enjoyed strolling around, but it was so cold!

We obviously had to get a coffee at Dolcezza, because they do pour over with Stumptown. Mmmmmm
 We then headed to Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast. This was my first time visiting a LPQ, and I hope it's not my last. It was awesome!

I ordered a Turmeric Chai Latte to start. They asked me if I wanted a cup or a bowl....this is the cup size!
Connor and I ordered the Smoked Salmon breakfast (which came with a perfectly soft boiled egg) and a pain au chocolat. Both were delicious! 
So colorful!

We then walked around a bit more, and headed back to their house. Later on, Connor and I drove to our friend Chris' house to meet their new baby girl. She was born last week, so she was itty bitty! We took his 2 1/2 year old son to lunch with us at a fabulous Persian restaurant, Amoo's. I have never had the opportunity to eat Persian, so I really enjoyed it!

Kashk-e-Bademjan
Sauteed Eggplant dip, topped with marinated onions and Persian Herbs
 Gheymeh Bademjan (top)
Sauteed yellow split peas, beef chunks, onions and spices, in a hearty tomato sauce containing whole fried Persian eggplant

Fesenjoon (middle)
Chicken breast filet marinated in a tangy pomegranate sauce mixed with walnuts in a cinnamon truffle oil

Bakhtiari Kabob (top right)
Saffron butter marinated free range beef tenderloin kabob, covered with New Zealand free range spiced ground lamb

Baghali Polo with Mahicheh (not pictured)
Lima bean and dill rice served with lamb shank
 It was quite a feast, and we enjoyed sampling a little bit of everything. 
 We brought the leftovers back to his house and said goodbye to his family. We headed back to C+C's, and went back to Mosaic. We stopped at a few boutiques before heading to the Red Apron butcher shop. We decided to have a German feast for dinner, so we picked up some Knockwurst and Kielbasa for dinner. We headed next door to MOM's Organic Market for the rest of the ingredients. 

We made Pretzels to snack on
We simmered the sausages in beer before grilling them to finish
 And we made Spaetzele, sauerkraut with apples, and a warm potato salad with bacon. It was all delicious!
To wrap up the night, we played too many rounds of Heads Up. It was so fun!

We got up a little later the next morning, since we stayed up so late the night before, and had to hit the road. We had such a great weekend seeing our friends and their new additions!

xoxo,
post signature

3 comments:

The Reedy Review said...

I am so jealous of the food that you ate this weekend! My mouth is watering over that Smoked Salmon breakfast.

Libby @ Health, Love & Fire said...

Wow all of that food looks pretty amazing! I am headed out of town with the hubby the next few days and I am definitely looking forward to some yummy meals!

Dee Stephens said...

All the food is making me hungry! I should have taken pictures of all the delicious food I ate while in Baton Rouge!