Monday, November 25, 2013

Productive weekend in pictures

We had a super productive weekend. On Friday, it was one of my coworker's last day (sad) so we celebrated with one last staff meeting at Fourth Ward Bread Co, a new bakery near our office. It was gorgeous inside, and SO delicious! 
 Really, it's HUGE and has a lot of seating.
 I ordered a (ground in-house) sausage, egg & cheese in a croissant. They literally put everything in it! It was a great way to serve it. And ohhhh so yummy.
 When we got back to work, I had my students decorate the board and that put me in quite the holiday spirit!
Later that day, I ended up being in kind of a bad mood. I will really miss my co-worker, but I'm happy she's still close by.

I got home, put on my comfy clothes, drank a little wine, and caught up on Scandal. Connor brought me home some comfort food in the form of Drunken Noodles from Deejai Thai. He knows me so well!
 Since today is our 6-month anniversary, and Mondays are no fun, I decided to surprise Connor with a trip to the place where we got engaged and to get a tree. He proposed at Helms Christmas Tree Farm 2 years ago, and I thought it would be fun to go back this year.

He was hard to surprise, especially when I told him to bring Bowser with us when he thought we were just going to Target! It was a great morning drive to Lincolnton (about an hour from Charlotte).
 We picked out a great tree! They have so many sizes and varieties available to cut your own, and they also have Frasier Firs pre-cut. I love this place!
 Bowser looked adorable on the way back home. My little alien dog

Unbeknownst to me, Connor had already planned on opening a bottle of Dom Perignon that we got as a wedding gift that night. I think we did well in surprising each other! We got the tree set up, set out some cheese and olives, and sipped some yummmmmy champers
 Oh wait, here's Bowser looking cute again. He was wiped!
We decorated the tree and put on some Christmas music, then sat back and enjoyed the view.

We played a few rounds of my favorite card game, Fluxx, and opened another bottle of champagne. This time it was Kirkland from our wedding. Another yummy bottle!

On Sunday, we ended up finally going to Target to get Christmas presents for his family (we celebrate Christmas at Thanksgiving, since we don't generally see them!), and got groceries for our contribution to Thanksgiving. I also dropped our holiday cards in the mail!

I'm bringing a double-batch of the cranberry, raisin, & onion confit that I posted, as well as Ina's Celery Root & Apple Puree. Both are fairly simple to make, and store & travel well! 

We also cleaned our house top-to-bottom, purged our closets for my school's holiday (I mean 4 enormous bags of clothes, shoes, & handbags!), and I made turkey noodle soup from the leftover meat & carcass from Friendsgiving last weekend.

This week is going to be crazy, as we are headed to Virginia on Tuesday night. I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family and friends!



Need a good recipe for turkey noodle soup? Here's what I did:

1 turkey carcass
Enough water to cover it
Handful of whole veggies (carrots, onion, celery, etc)
Diced carrots, onions, celery, etc.
Leftover turkey meat
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 lb. egg noodles (or whatever pasta you like in your soup)

Put everything in a large stock pot, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for a few hours. Once it turns a nice light brown color, strain the liquid and pick off the meat which should be easy to get off now.

Place the diced veggies in your stock pot, turn on high, throw in your seasoning and turkey, and cook until the veggies are tender.

Throw the pasta in with everything and boil until al dente. Check for seasoning and serve.

Turkey stock has so much flavor, this is a great way to get everything out of that carcass!

Safe travels, y'all!

xoxo,

post signature

4 comments:

Carolina Charm said...

What a wonderfully festive weekend!!! I am totally going to look into Helms Christmas trees!! We've never cut one down before and I am dying to!

Elise @ Cheers Yall said...

YAY for Christmas trees!!! And girlie...I love me some Deejai! YUM! Tofu Pad Prik (level 5) is my go to JAM! YUM! xx

Annie said...

What a perfect weekend! Love that you all opened up that special bottle of Dom! You guys are too cute!

Samantha Ledford said...

First of all, your bulletin board skills are on point... I'm going to have to up our departments game! Secondly, I've been meaning to go to the fourth ward bread company for.ev.er! That croissant looks delicious!